Dreamers as a term has come to represent undocumented immigrants who came to the US as children. Although Dreamers Creative Writing’s name has a different meaning and origin, this contest is intended to honour “Dreamers” as it applies to migration, and our sense of place and home.
Submit your stories of migration and/or your sense of place, of home or lack of, and your empathy to the plight of migrants around the world. Please feel free to interpret the theme of this contest in any way that is fitting for you personally, keeping in mind the overarching theme of Dreamers Creative Writing – that of heartfelt stories. You do not need to be a migrant to enter this contest – you only need to empathize with the theme in some way and have a heartfelt story to tell on the topic.
This contest is open to the world.
January 31, 2019
$25.00 CAD. Entry fee includes a 1 year electronic subscription for Dreamers Magazine.
The winning entry will receive $250 CAD, two copies of our print magazine, and publication on www.dreamerswriting.com and in our winter/spring 2019 magazine.
Up to 6 runners-up will also receive publication and a $20 honorarium.
Guidelines and Terms:
- Enter a poem, a nonfiction or creative nonfiction piece, a personal essay, an article, a children’s nonfiction story, a dramatic piece, a comic or an experimental piece. The only requirement is that what you submit should be true.
- Entries should be between 15 and 4000 words.
- We are looking for unpublished, original writing (previous publication on a personal blog is fine).
- Please submit as a single file and do not include your name anywhere in the attachment.
- By accepting publication, you grant Dreamers Creative Writing non-exclusive electronic and print publication rights, including the right to publish on our website, in our archives, in any future anthologies and in our magazine.
- Authors retain copyright and may republish following publication with Dreamers. We ask for exclusivity for 30 days.